Eating A Healthy Breakfast
It’s no wonder breakfast is thought to be the most important meal of the day. Breakfast eaters seem to perform better in school, finish tasks more quickly, and are more likely to maintain a healthy body weight. This may be due to the fact that breakfast provides energy, helps balance blood sugar, and keeps appetites satisfied until lunch. Just be certain what you and your family eat is healthy.
COMPONENTS OF A HEALTHY BREAKFAST
||oats or oatmeal, whole wheat breads or cereals, barley, bulgur, buckwheat, amaranth, quinoa
||eggs, chicken, turkey, fish, low fat dairy products
||nuts and nut butters, ground flax seeds, extra virgin olive oil, avocados
|Fruits & Berries
||choose those with deep, bright colors and look for seasonal items
How to Serve a Healthy Breakfast
There are three components of a healthy breakfast: complex carbohydrates, lean protein and healthy fat.
A balance of these nutrients will provide much needed energy and keep you satisfied throughout the morning. A common breakfast error is to serve only simple carbohydrates (sweetened cereal, toast with jam, banana and fruit juice). This leads to a rapid increase in blood sugar followed by a rapid drop, leaving you feeling lethargic and hungry all over again.
|| nuts and nut butters
| bran cereal
|| ground flax seeds
| buckwheat brands
|| extra virgin olive oil
| whole wheat breads
| high fiber, low sugar cereals
|| low fat dairy products
| whole fruits
Creamy yourwellness Whole Wheat Cereal
Active Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: Overnight
Enjoy this delicious yourwellness breakfast idea
- 1 cup whole wheat berries, rinsed
- 1/3 cup Harris Teeter Naturals Organic Wildflower Honey, or to taste
- ½ cup warm Harris Teeter Naturals Skim Milk
- Handful of raisins, dried cranberries, and/or chopped apricots
- Handful of almonds
- 1 Farmers Market banana, sliced
- At night, place whole wheat berries in a large thermos and cover with boiling water.
- The next morning, the wheat will be puffed and tender. Stir honey into wheat, if desired, and distribute into 4 cereal bowls.
- Top with warm milk, raisins, cranberries, apricots, and almonds if you like.