Helpful Tips - Opening a Bottle
How do I open a bottle of wine?
How do I open a bottle of sparkling wine?
- With the small knife on your good corkscrew, cut the capsule cleanly beneath the lip of the bottle. (Rotate the bottle as you cut.)
- Hold the bottle by the neck and insert the tip of the corkscrew at an angle and slightly off center. (This helps to prevent cork breakage.) Turn the corkscrew until it is fully into the cork.
- Hook the lever of the corkscrew onto the rim of the bottle. Hold the lever in place with the thumb of the hand that is holding the bottle. Lift up the corkscrew in one firm slow motion until the cork is fully extracted.
- If you prefer, you can remove the cork in two moves. After inserting the tip, turn the corkscrew just until the lever will sit on the rim of the bottle.
- Holding the lever in place, lift up the corkscrew until the cork is halfway or more out of the bottle. Turn the corkscrew the final turns it takes for it to be fully inserted, place the lever, and lift the cork out.
- Remove the foil wrapper and fully loosen the wire hood. Keep a thumb on the cork as it could pop out on it's own
- Hold the bottle at a 45-degree angle, point the cork away from people or priceless heirlooms.
- Grasp the cork and wire hood with a towel and gently twist the bottle, not the cork. You'll feel it loosen before it pops out. That towel will come in handy to catch any run off.
- Once the cork is loose gently pull it out of the bottle