Harris Teeter is committed to sustainable, energy efficient designs and practices that are economically viable for our company as it pertains to development, construction and maintenance of our facilities.
Harris Teeter has 40 stores that carry the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency ENERGY STAR label but has implemented energy management strategies in all of its stores.
Current Energy Management Systems
- Energy efficient roofing systems
- Energy management programs that utilize high efficiency equipment and designs
- Non-ozone depleting refrigerants in our refrigeration systems for new stores and major remodels
- Water conservation devices at all sinks, toilets, and faucets including waterless urinals, solar re-charging flush valves, and automated hand sink faucets
- High efficiency gas water heaters (94 – 96% efficient). Heat reclaimed from refrigeration systems provide heat for water and space conditioning
- Proper disposal of all refrigeration oil and refrigerant
- Dual path HVAC systems to control humidity
- Demand exhaust hood control system that only operates during cooking events
- LED lighting in refrigerated cases
Energy Management Systems Being Tested
In several of our stores we are testing a variety of energy efficient and alternate building system concepts for eventual rollout to all stores.
- Day light harvesting system, includes both skylights and dimmers
- Innovative control strategies
- Energy monitoring system
- Using secondary refrigerant systems that use over 75% less refrigerant
Construction and Energy Initiatives
Harris Teeter has multiple Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) stores as certified by the U.S. Green Building Council.
View Brochure - Store #131 Rivertowne Place Mt. Pleasant, SC
View Brochure - Store #309 East Gate Marketplace Chantilly, VA
View Brochure - Store #332 Blue Ridge Shopping Center Crozet, VA
View Brochure - Store #376 McHenry Row Baltimore, MD
View Brochure - Store #401 Central Avenue Charlotte, NC
View Brochure - Store #403 Fair Hill Shopping Center Olney, MD
View Brochure - Store #409 Clarksburg Village Clarksburg, Md. – application is currently under review
View Brochure - Store #398 Madison & St. Asaph in Alexandria, Va. – application is currently under review