Harris Teeter Raises over $587,000 during Support Our Troops Donation Card Campaign
USO, Wounded Warrior Project to Receive Over $293,000 Each
Charlotte, N.C. – Harris Teeter announced today that it is donating over $587,000 to both the USO (United Service Organizations) and Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP). The donation was made possible thanks to generous contributions from Harris Teeter customers during the company’s point of purchase donation card campaign called Support Our Troops. The company expresses its thanks in this video.
Harris Teeter hosted the campaign in May, during which time customers were invited to make a $1, $3 or $5 donation. The first annual Support Our Troops campaign raised over $445,000. The donation offered today represents an approximate 31 percent increase over last year.
“Whether our troops are battling wounds of war, deployed overseas or their families are in need of comfort and support, the USO is there, always by their side. That’s something that just wouldn’t be possible without the generosity of our partners and the American people,” said USO President and CEO Sloan Gibson. “This tremendous donation from Harris Teeter and its customers helps the USO lift the spirits of our troops by providing powerful programs that help them stay connected with family during deployments, reintegrate with their families and the civilian workforce after injury, or provide relief to military children during times of separation.”
“We’re proud to partner with a company like Harris Teeter that is committed to help support injured service members,” said Adam Silva, chief development officer at Wounded Warrior Project. “Engaging their customers not only raised funds for WWP, but increased awareness of our mission to honor and empower Wounded Warriors.”
The money donated by Harris Teeter’s generous shoppers could help the USO:
WWP will be able to:
- Give more than 29,000 military children the chance to watch a DVD of their deployed mom or dad reading them their favorite bedtime story, or
- Provide nearly 650 military couples with the opportunity to attend a marriage strengthening workshop that helps families reconnect, following injury or a period of separation, or
- Equip nearly 400 wounded, ill or injured troops with resume writing and interviewing skills and then put them in front of companies that are ready to hire, helping the serviceman or woman to build their hope and confidence for a brighter future.
Harris Teeter, along with the USO and WWP, thank our valued customers and employees who donated to the Support Our Troops campaign. For more information about programs and services provided by the USO, please visit uso.org. For more information about programs and services provided by WWP, please visit woundedwarriorproject.org.
- Provide 12 Wounded Warriors with equipment, including a specially equipped adaptive bicycle, riding gear, bike jersey and t-shirt to participate in the Soldier Ride program for a week, and …
- Provide computers to explore information technology as a potential career field to 79 injured service men and women enrolled in the Transition Training Academy, and …
- Invite 49 Wounded Warrior caregivers to a Family Support Retreat to receive a much needed weekend of rest, respite and peer support with fellow caregivers at no cost to them