Harris Teeter’s United Way Campaign Raises $324,302
Shoppers Purchased Harry the Happy Dragon Donation Cards to Support Local United Way Chapters
Charlotte, N.C. Oct. 25, 2011 – Harris Teeter’s Harry the Happy Dragon Donation Card Campaign for United Way raised $324,302 thanks to the support of the company’s loyal shoppers. This year Harris Teeter shoppers more than doubled last year’s total of $150,000. The contribution from the donation card campaign which ran from Aug. 15 to Sept. 20, will be donated back to the United Way chapter in the community in which the funds were raised.
Here’s an idea of what $324,302 achieves at United Way partner agencies:
- Sends 15 low-income children, at risk of delinquency, to summer camp . . . and
- 15 homeless children can have a place to live, a healthy meal and be helped to succeed in school… and
- Enables six children from low income homes to participate in a Boy Scout troop… and
- Makes it possible for 15 children, who have a parent incarcerated, to work toward repairing the relationship with their parent… and
- Provides 15 low-income persons with professional medical care for their chronic health needs… and
- Enables 5 homeless family members, who are working to find a permanent home, temporary housing for 3-4 months… and
- Twelve of the neediest, most vulnerable and low-income children can receive help to succeed academically at their school… and
- Makes it possible for 70 individuals to pay their utility, power or rent/mortgage bill for one month so that they can deter a temporary crisis and remain in their home… and
- Provides for five individuals with disabilities to overcome barriers to independent living… and
- Two young women, experiencing a crisis pregnancy, are able to have a place to live, healthy food to eat, counseling and medical assistance… and
- Twenty five unemployed individuals can be provided with the job skills they need to find employment… and
- Two family members can receive substance abuse counseling, life skills training, healthy meals, housing… and
- Provides help for 15 parents whose lives have been shattered by deaths of the children . . . and
- Five elderly, low income individuals can receive legal assistance and representation… and
- Eleven frail, older adults can remain in their home by receiving practical help with housing needs… and
- Five homeless men can receive a safe place to sleep, healthy meals and help in addressing substance abuse, mental health and other issues contributing to their homelessness… and
- Essential and vital medications are provided to 12 low income people with chronic health issues… and
- Ten adolescents can receive comprehensive and family-centered health care, in a teen-friendly environment, addressing issues such as pregnancy, eating disorders and psychological needs…and
- Ten lower income individuals can receive affordable, professional counseling, addressing their problems before they escalate… and
- Provides housing for seven single, homeless women where they will also receive the support and training to become self-sufficient for up to two years... and
- Makes it possible for a family to move into a home provided by Habitat for Humanity… and Eight victims of a housing disaster (e.g., fire) can receive clothing replacement, essential medicines, food and other vital items… and
- Twenty five children suffering from emotional distress due to domestic violence in their home gain the skills to address their pain… and
- Twenty early child care educators serving low income children receive training that improves the quality of their services… and
- Twenty lower income people suffering with diabetes receive assessments and help in the communities where they live… and last, but not least…
- Five family caregivers of elderly family members receive respite as well as education on reducing the stress of providing care.
Harris Teeter has been raising money for United Way for decades, and it is only with the support of its loyal associates and customers that the company has been able to host successful fundraising programs for the nonprofit organization. United Way and its 1,300 partner agencies advance the common good by creating long-lasting community change, and Harris Teeter is a proud supporter of the organization’s mission.
The company thanks its shoppers for helping to raise money for United Way.