Harris Teeter Shoppers Donate Over $150,000 to United Ways during Harry the Happy Dragon Donation Card Campaign
Harris Teeter thanks its customers for their support and generosity
Charlotte, NC – Harris Teeter hosted its annual Harry the Happy Dragon Donation Card Campaign August 16, 2010 – September 19, 2010 to benefit the United Ways and raised $150,487. Last year’s campaign raised $118,469.
Shoppers participated in the campaign by purchasing either a $1 or $5 Harry the Happy Dragon donation card. Top selling stores were:
• Corolla, Store #266 in the Outer Banks: $5,617
• Cameron Village, Store #021 in Raleigh: $3,796
• Skeet Club, Store #173 in High Point: $3,487
• Cureton, Store #182 in Waxhaw: $3,171
• East Bay, Store #277 in Charleston: $2,883
For perspective, here’s what $150,487 can achieve at United Way partner agencies:
• Run a 24/7 domestic violence hotline, with trained advocates, for an entire year ... and
• Give 10 children, living in poverty, six months of out-of-school programming that puts them on track to perform at grade level ... and
• Weatherize 10 new Habitat houses for low-income families ... and
• Provide homes for a year for five single, homeless women where they will also receive the support and training to become self-sufficient ... and
• Prepare and serve 4,243 meals to the hungry in a soup kitchen ... and
• Provide medicine for 336 children who would have missed school without it . . . and
• Puts a roof on two Habit houses . . . and
• Send 10 low income children to summer camp . . . and
• Provide 10 hours of disability mentoring for 10 newly injured people in the hospital . . . and
• Provide 4 group therapy sessions for 10 parents whose lives have been shattered by deaths of the children . . . and
• Provide school uniforms for 25 homeless children . . . and
• Provide a community outreach site for one month for a troop of 15 low income Girl Scouts . . . and
• Provide a backpack and school supplies for one homeless child.
Harris Teeter has included United Way in its point of purchase donation card campaigns for many years. The organization and its 1,300 partner agencies advance the common good by creating long lasting community change, and Harris Teeter is a proud supporter of United Way’s mission.
The money will be donated to the United Way chapter in which it was raised.