Harris Teeter Celebrates 50th Anniversary
Harris Super Markets and Teeter’s Food Mart joined forces in February 1960 and Harris Teeter is now the 35th largest supermarket in the United States
Charlotte, NC – Harris Teeter is celebrating its 50th Anniversary today; many things have changed in the grocery industry over the last 50 years but one thing remains the same – Harris Teeter’s commitment to providing its customers with the highest quality products, the cleanest stores, the best variety, and unmatched customer service.
Before there was Harris Teeter, there was Harris Super Markets and Teeter’s Food Mart. When the companies merged on February 1, 1960 there were already 15 stores in operation, and the first “Harris Teeter” store to open under the new banner was in Kannapolis, NC. Now Harris Teeter has 194 stores, with three more opening by February 10, 2010!
The world and the company our founders W.T. Harris and Willis Teeter knew have dramatically changed. The company was founded on the concept of customer service, and in order to maintain its pledge to provide the best in customer service and highest quality shopping experiences to customers, Harris Teeter has adapted to changing times all the while improving efficiencies in stores and better serving customers. Harris Teeter management and associates are constantly learning, regularly implementing new business practices and updating stores in order to best serve customers.
Did You Know
- Harris Teeter operates two major distributions centers and a smaller relay station to supply its network of stores 24 hours a day, 365 days a week.
- In 1992, Harris Teeter went “Crazy for Kids” and launched a kids marketing campaign. A few years later, Store Manager Larry Potter formalized the program by developing a mascot to entertain children in the store and Harry the Happy Dragon was born.
- Harris Teeter’s first Pharmacy was opened in Store #160 located in Charlotte, NC by an independent owner. Harris Teeter decided to get into the Pharmacy business and bought the Pharmacy in October of 1993. Two years later, Harris Teeter opened another Pharmacy in Store #158, Wilmington, NC. Today, Harris Teeter operates 123 Pharmacies.
- Harris Teeter’s first Very Important Customer (VIC) customer week was October 26, 1994, but the VIC card program was officially launched in 1995. Store #78 in Albemarle was the first store to use the VIC card. VIC launched company wide in 1997.
- Hostess Canned Ham was the first VIC special.
- Harris Teeter launched Together in Education in 1998 and has donated over $13.2 million to participating schools.
- Harris Teeter opened its first LEED certified store in Crozet, VA in 2009.
On its 50th Anniversary, Harris Teeter would like to thank our customers for their loyalty and looks forward to 50 more exciting years of change.